You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Fast facts

• Raised in the NSW south coast town of Gerringong
  • Lives in Cronulla, NSW
  • Played junior league for the Gerringong Lions
  • Current captain of the Cronulla Sharks, Australian Jillaroos and NSW State of Origin teams
  • Played rugby union competitively for 11 years
  • Nominated for the 2016 Dally M Award Women's Player of the Year
  • NRL Ambassador from 2014-2017
  • NRL Community Program Deliverer since 2018

Fun facts

• Favourite NRL team: Cronulla Sharks, Brisbane Broncos and St George Illawarra Dragons
  • Career ambition as a kid: A superhero
  • Favourite food: Pizza
  • Spirit animal: A lion
  • What's on TV (when the footy isn't on): Netflix

Biography

Ruan Sims is one of the women's rugby league's most successful players, currently captaining the Australian Jillaroos, NSW State of Origin team, and Cronulla Sharks women's pathway program.

Growing up playing with her brothers and sister at Gerringong Lions, it wasn't long before Ruan and her three brothers, Ashton, Korbin and Tariq, and sister Canecia, started building a family legacy within Australian elite sport like no other.

"All three of my brothers play elite rugby league, and my sister is in the Australian Grid Iron team. We all support each other's teams but it will be interesting when Korbin and Tariq come up against each other this season," said Ruan.

After dominating rugby union for 11 years, Ruan hung up her boots to become a fire fighter and a couple of years later found her way back to rugby league through a friend and reignited her passion for the game.

"When I started playing rugby league again just six years ago, I found the passion I thought I had lost. I am so thankful to have found my way back to this great game which means so much to me. I am eternally grateful for this sport – it has been an amazing journey."

Ruan was one of the first women to became a NRL Ambassador in 2012 and from 2018 will continue supporting NRL Community programs including Voice Against Violence and State of Mind initiatives through her new role as NRL Community Program Deliverer.

"I have been heavily involved in both programs and I'm extremely passionate about engaging the public, using our sport as a vehicle to address these societal issues and make change," said Ruan.

"Like so many Community Program Deliverers, we do this to give back to the NRL community who have supported us and the game which means so much to us."

Today, Ruan lives in Cronulla, NSW, and in addition to her work as a professional rugby league player and NRL Community Program Deliverer, works full time as a fire fighter.

Acknowledgement of Country

National Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.