NRL Community has been using our voice, in consultation with Australia's leading mental health experts, to make a difference to a big issue that impacts our game and our communities – mental illness.
Mental illness doesn't discriminate. In Australia, 1-in-2 people are affected by mental illness. It's Australia's single biggest health issue and, as Australia's biggest sporting community, we can and should play a pivotal role in improving the outcomes for those affected.
Our approach is:
- Use the Game's reach, profile, clubs and players to help remove the stigma surrounding mental illness.
- Connect rugby league communities (participants, fans, and volunteers) with our mental health partners and local service providers.
- Stimulate help-seeking behaviours throughout the Rugby League community by providing appropriate literature and resources.
- Educate and inform our Grassroots Club's through an interactive face-to-face session to improve mental health literacy.
- Develop elite players to be leaders in mental health advocacy within their Clubs and communities.
What is NRL State of Mind?:
NRL State of Mind Grassroots Program
The NRL State of Mind Grassroots program is a 4-step process targeted towards club administrators, coaches, managers and senior players of grassroots rugby league clubs (attendees need to be 18+ years of age).
The aim of this program, which will be the constant driver of our work, is to:
- Use the Game's reach, profile, Clubs and players to reduce stigma around mental illness;
- Increase our participants understanding of mental health;
- Stimulate help seeking behaviours by educating and informing our community with appropriate resources and literature;
- Connect Rugby League communities with our expert partners.
State of Mind Get in the GAAME Workshop
Get in the GAAME brings a youth focus to the State of Mind program and aims to provide participants with the skills and confidence to provide support to a person experiencing mental health problems, and to help them to access appropriate support if needed. The workshop encourages participants to understand the importance of good mental health and recognise this as an area they can have an impact on. The key outcomes of the program are:
- Increase knowledge of mental health difficulties.
- Increase confidence to support people going through a difficult time.
- Encourage help seeking behaviours and connect to experts when necessary.
- Become a local leader in creating a connected, mentally healthy and resilient community.
As part of this program clubs are being empowered to increase their understanding of mental health throughout club and community.
The program is delivered face to face and also online. If you are interested in participating, please click here to express your interest.
Power for Change
We use our players and events to highlight the messages of our community programs, and for State of Mind that platform is Australia's biggest sporting event - the annual State of Origin series.
Don't stay on the sideline of mental health
NRL Welfare and Education Program
We want players and officials to be proud of the game they play and love, but also balanced in their approach to life. The NRL/RLPA Wellbeing and Education team want all in the Rugby League family to achieve success on the field as well as off it.
To find out more information, visit: www.nrl.com/wellbeing-and-education/